IP Progress and Recent Developments
Intellectual Property Progress and Recent Developments
- On 26th April 2019, the Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Cooperatives did a remarkable celebration of the World Intellectual Property Day (IP Day) 2019 for the second time at the Bairiki Square, Tarawa. The theme for the day is “Reach for Gold: IP and Sports.” Prior to this big event, the awareness through media, visiting High Schools and Tertiaries were conducted for two week period to widen public awareness on the Intellectual Property Day, relevant important roles and administered laws of the Intellectual Property.
- On August 21 , 2018: The Copyright Act 2018 was read and passed in the House of Parliament for the second time and becomes an Act. The Office of the Attorney General (OAG) is now in process of drafting the Copyright Regulations and it is expected to be done within the upcoming weeks.
- The new Trademark Bill is to be introduced in the forthcoming House of Parliaments for the first Reading.
- Endorsement and Implementation of the National Intellectual Property Strategy (NIPS) 2017 is in progress with the review and amendment of all out-dated Intellectual Property Law.
- Kiribati has successfully acceded to the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works in Kiribati and abroad since 02nd October, 2017.
- Application has been issued for the Marrakesh Treaty membership to facilitate access to published works for persons who are blind, visually impaired or otherwise print disabled.
- Accession to the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial property including patents, trademarks, industrial designs, utility models, service marks, trade names, geographical indications and the repression of unfair competition has been considered for further proceeding.
- Accession to the Madrid protocol- The International Trademark System has been considered for further proceeding.
- Mrs Tautongo Kaiteie: Senior Intellectual Property Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mrs Tebaibure Tiemti: Intellectual Property Officer (email@example.com)
- Mrs Teeao Tira: Copyright Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mrs Benateta Tiotaake: Assistant Intellectual Property Officer (email@example.com)
- Mss Bunataa Tekena: Assistant Copyright Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mrs Aritaake Irata: Reliever for an Assistant Intellectual Property Officer (email@example.com)
Intellectual Property Day – 26th April 2019